Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Grudgingly, I heart NY

I didn't think that I would. I was there in college but remember startlingly little of the city. Saturday night when we first arrived it was hot, sticky, and after learning our AC unit was broke, I was not happy. But Sunday we crashed on the Upper West Side at a staffer's mom's place I started to come around.


Things I learned about NYC:

Nobody has any expectations of efficiency when driving in Manhattan. Thus, rules of the road do not even vaguely apply. Lanes markers are for decoration while lights, and signage are mere suggestions. Turns out you can double or even triple park just about anywhere, so long as you're not completely blocking traffic. This is helpful when driving a giant fish there. Cops tend not to give a shit unless you're actively killing or mugging somebody.

The NY Subway system carries over 5 million rides EVERY DAY. That's 5,000,000. That is equivalent to the State of Minnesota in a day. That's roughly 2 BILLION rides annually. That's more rides than all other transit systems in the US COMBINED. It's staggering. And also breathlessly efficient.

There is cheap beer to be found in Manhattan if you know where to look.

Yeah, I sort of like the place.

No comments: